The Delany Archive holds two bound volumes relating to the Queen’s County (Laois) estate of Sir Charles Henry Coote (1794-1864). The volumes contain maps and reference information about Ballyfin Demesne and the tenanted estate. They have been digitised and are freely available on this site.

Ballyfin House, 1815.
Reference to the estate of Sir Charles H. Coote, Bart., situate in the baronies of Maryborough, Ossory, Tinnehinch, and Queen’s County. By Thomas Logan & Son, 1813.
This volume contains the names of lessees and occupying tenants (where provided), and the location, quality and quantity of holdings. In total, information about 67 denominations is provided, covering an area of 22,453 acres, 1 rood and 6 perches plantation measure. No maps accompany this volume.
Maps of the estate of Sir Charles Heny. Coote, Bart., situate in the baronies of Maryborough, Ossory & Tennehinch, and Queen’s County; surveyed 1813-14, by Thomas Logan & Son, Dublin.
This volume was produced in 1815, and contains maps and reference information about 73 denominations. There is a map for each denomination. Accompanying reference information includes names of lessees and occupying tenants (where provided), and the location, quality and quantity of holdings. In many cases, the denomination is a townland, but in some cases, maps and reference information cover a portion of a townland. Holdings are numbered in the reference information and maps, meaning that they can be matched. This volume contains information about a total area of 22,453 acres, 1 rood and 6 perches plantation measure.
Classroom Activities with Historical Maps
This webpage contains ideas for classroom activities with historical maps appropriate to children of primary school age.
Terms of Use
The digital content within the Coote Estate Maps and References webpages is available under Creative Commons License CC BY-NC 4.0 (Attribution-NonCommercial): https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/.
Commercial reuse is subject to a fee and licence.
Transcription Errors
Transcription errors may be reported to info@delanyarchive.ie.
Acknowledgements
This project has been funded by the Heritage Council through its Community Heritage Grant Scheme, 2025. The project included conservation, digitisation, transcription and online publication of the volumes.
Thank you to the Irish-UK Province of the Sisters of St Brigid (Brigidine Sisters) for their support of the project, and permitting publication of the volumes.
Sincere thanks to Ms Brigid Bennett, Principal, Ballyfin National School, Co. Laois, for guidance on incorporating historical maps into classroom activities.

